It’s one of my favorite comfort foods and reminds me of my childhood. Who doesn’t love meatloaf? My mom’s was famous (well it was to me), and so I wanted to create it in a low carb meatloaf for my family to enjoy. A keto cheese stuffed meatloaf recipe sounds good, huh? Now we just have to make it without breadcrumbs or oats!
What else can I use for breadcrumbs in stuffed meatloaf recipe?
Since we’re doing this grain-free, we need a meatloaf binder. I’ve used almond flour with the eggs to help keep it all together. You can consider another low carb option too. The sauteed onions are the real winner in this recipe and are what made my mom’s so, so good.
You’ll love every cheesy bite, but note that this keto stuffed meatloaf recipe is not your typical ketchup on top meatloaf. The provolone is the perfect mild cheese to compliment the ground beef taste. Also did I mention there’s cheese?
Keto Stuffed Meatloaf Ingredients
It’s a good idea to get your hands messy with this keto stuffed meatloaf when you mix the ingredients. I try to avoid over-kneading it. Mix it just enough to work the eggs through the whole thing. Pro-tip – make sure you have the sink water warm and some dish washing soap at the ready to clean your meaty greasy hands.
Can you add cheese to stuffed meatloaf recipe?
Of course! It’s easy to stuff your meatloaf. Line about 2/3 – 3/4 of the beef in a loaf pan. Flatten it up the sides and make sure there’s a decent size cavity in the middle. As you can see in the next slide, we’re bringing in the cheese!! I’ve used provolone and a little left over gouda. You can use whatever works for you.
Cover with the remaining beef and top with 4-5 slices of cheese. Sprinkle with more parsley and bake at 400 for about an hour. I did cover the stuffed meatloaf with foil and remove the foil to let the cheese brown about 10 minutes before it was done.
Can you prepare ahead of time to bake later?
Definitely! Keeping in mind that beef doesn’t last forever in the fridge, it’s definitely something you can make in the morning and have it ready to throw in the oven when you get home from work.
What is the internal temperature of a cooked meatloaf?
You’ll want to bake your meatloaf until it reaches an inner temp of 165 degrees F. It might take longer to cook if your beef is super cold or if you use more beef. So having a meet thermometer handy is best when cooking meatloaf.
And yes, it’s this cheesy. And not Micheal Scott cheesy – this is the real deal.
I did syringe the fat out of the pan before lifting the loaf out. I wanted to make sure the grease didn’t go everywhere, and also ensure that the keto stuffed meatloaf had a chance to cool a bit and settle.Try this custom pan with a lift up tray – makes it super easy to lift and serve your meatloaf! (affiliate)
These were the MOST AMAZING LEFTOVERS. I ate it at work for several days.
Can’t make it now?
Pin It For Later!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 large onion, chopped and sauteed
- 8 oz sliced provolone cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley (we use these herb shears)
- Chop and sautee onion with a little oil. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl (OXO makes the best bowl set) mix ground beef, almond flour, eggs, chopped parsley
- Add the onions and mix again
- With about 2/3 - 3/4 of the meat mixture, line a glass loaf pan, forming a cavity in the middle. Try to keep the edges even.
- Line the cavity with half the cheese slices (4-6)
- Top with the remaining meat mixture to cover the cavity / cheese
- Add the remaining cheese slices to the top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes
- Take off the foil top and bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges brown.
- Drain excess grease in pan before removing the meatloaf.
- Let cool slightly before slicing and serving
Ingredients are calculated based on the information provided and are an estimate. Use an app like My Fitness Pro to calculate nutritional information for your specific ingredients.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 471Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 167mgSodium 407mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 41g