This sausage and spinach casserole literally came to be because we were headed out for vacation and had to clean out the fridge. I did not even think this would be as delicious and easy as it was. And it’s low carb / keto friendly – it’s also an easy meal prep casserole.
The pic above and below is chopped sausage. If you really want to keep this keto, I’d go with a sausage like Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage or another sugar free option. Easy keto casserole is the way to go!
And it was also gone in one day. But who’s counting! I’ve added some process shots so you can see how I made it. But it’s so easy, you won’t need them. If you want to jump to the actual recipe, just keep scrollin’!
How to make a sausage & spinach casserole
Cook the chopped sausage in the pan over medium heat, but don’t overcook. Once you remove the sausage, saute some chopped onions. I used a small onion, but you may want more depending on your love of onions. If you are a garlic person, go for it – I am not. I also didn’t add spices, but I imagine you could try some different savory ones – I think next time I’ll add nutmeg and cinnamon – it’s a new fave and I’ve tried it in my chicken spinach artichoke casserole with great success! Easy keto casseroles are my favorite!
Add the sausage, onions, sour cream and cheeses to a medium size bowl. Whisk the eggs and some milk or heavy whipping cream – either will do. Add that to the sausage mixture and stir until mixed.
Add the fresh spinach at this point. Blend it just enough to work it through the mixture.
Spread the sausage and spinach mixture into an 8×8 baking dish. You could use a 13×9 and it wouldn’t be quite as deep – but would cook fine. Top with some extra cheese (please!) and bake.
An easy spinach & sausage casserole that your whole family will love.
Can’t make it now?
Pin it for later!
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mozarella
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 4 chopped sausage links
- 3oz fresh spinach
- 1/2 med onion chopped
- Salt pepper to taste
- Chop 4 sausage links (we use the larger sausage links or brats)
- Saute the sausage in a pan over medium high heat until slightly browned
- Remove the sausage from the pan and saute the chopped onion until golden
- Set aside a small amount of the cheese to sprinkle on top of the casserole
- Mix together the sausage, onion and cheeses.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the eggs, sour cream and cream.
- Pour the cream mixture into the sausage mixture and mix well
- Add the spinach leaves and mix gently.
- Now pour the mixture in a greased 8x8 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Let set before slicing and serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 265Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 125mgSodium 516mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 12g