This site participates in the Amazon affiliate program. All of this happened because I wanted some Keto donuts to take to work. And as you may have figured, I don’t like a lot of ingredients or a complex cooking / baking process. I always have peanut or nut butter in the house, so I thought, “why not try making a mug cake in a donut mold!’ – and this is how it went.
Making a Peanut Butter Donut from Mug Cake Recipe
Keto peeps, we love our mug cakes amiright? This one is a bit different because it doesn’t use flour. There are three ingredients (which is a win for me) – peanut butter, egg and Swerve.
I started my mixing it in a … MUG… I would have done it in a bowl, but that just seemed odd. Just showing the mug a little respect so it doesn’t feel left out. Mug, we’ll get you next time :)
The good news is one mug cake actually made two donuts. The other good news is that it was microwavable and done in one minute. The one change I’d make is to spray the mould with baking no stick spray. You’ll need this donut silicone mould in order to be able to microwave it. These are the ones we bought.
But they worked! Not the prettiest in the world, but based on the fact that they’ll only last 90 seconds, I’m not complaining. I spread a very light layer of nut butter on these and dipped them in a brown sugar and granular sugar mix. Both Swerve.
They turned out pretty good, huh? The ugly part – they do have air bubbles / pockets, so the finished product is very light. I’m not sure if there’s a better way to spread them in the pan so that doesn’t happen.
Oh well. Taste is everything. I’m not trying to win a blue ribbon. Girl just wants a donut!
Try it with other mug cakes. This one just happens to be my fave. I didn’t add chocolate chips to this one, but I WOULD!
Pin it for later
Here’s the easy recipe for the Nut Butter Mug Cake.. I mean Donut.
- 3 Tbs Sugar Free Nut Butter (we used this Almond Butter)
- 2 Tbs Swerve granulated sweetener
- 1 large egg
- In a mug or bowl, mix the nut butter, egg and sugar. Mix well so all the egg is whisked in. You'll want it the same consistency throughout.
- Spray a silicone donut mould with cooking spray.
- Spoon out the batter into two moulds.
- Microwave for 1 minute
- Mix the sweeteners listed in the topping ingredients on to a plate or flat bottom bowl.
- Lightly spread some nut butter on the top of the donuts - enough to make it sticky.
- Dip the donut into the topping to cover liberally.