If you are just starting the Keto journey, you may be wondering what Bullet Proof Coffee is – you may hear it called BPC. It’s the way a lot of people on the Keto diet start their day. It’s ingredients will fuel your brain and curb the cravings to allow you to start your day with energy to spare.
What Goes Into Bullet Proof Coffee?
Let’s start with the obvious – coffee. You start with a (hot) cup of black coffee. You start with two ingredients -medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), Brain Octane Oil or maybe even coconut oil and some grass fed butter. Yes, I said butter in coffee. It’s surprisingly delicious.
You can add other things – I always add collagen and cinnamon. And I often add heavy whipping cream. I don’t add any sweetener, but you could add a non-sugar sweetener.
This site participates in the Amazon affiliate program. This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
I have a few brands that I recommend:
- Oil – I use Brain Octane Oil by Bulletproof Company. They make BPC in single serve containers as well.
- Collagen – I buy Multi Collagen Protein Powder. It’s great for smoothies too – I don’t taste any flavor when I use it with the cream.
- Kerrygold Grass Fed Butter. You’ll love the smooth, creamy flavor when it’s added to coffee.
What are the Benefits of BPC?
- You still get your caffeine, but you can avoid the caffeine crash with BPC.
- You’ll find the energy kicks in and lasts the day. I no longer get that 3pm ugh.
- You may find you need less coffee in the morning. I may only drink the BPC and then switch to water. I’ve always been a 3 cup a day person.
- If you don’t keep some sort of fiber supplement in your diet on Keto, you may find issues with constipation. I’ve found that the brand of oil I use (Brain Octane Oil) helps my system move if you know what I mean.
- Worried about fats? Grass fed butter and the oils are known as healthy fats that will also keep you full longer and can reduce cravings.
- The oil (whichever one you choose) can give you more energy and focus – I find I work better in the morning and that feeling often lasts all day.
- Adding collagen doesn’t add flavor per se (I find I need the cream or I do taste this brand), but it does add the benefits collagen may provide: healthier skin, nails and hair, joint / back pain relief, gut health and others.
How Easy is it to Make Bullet Proof Coffee?
Making BPC doesn’t take much longer than making your basic cup of coffee. You add the ingredients – the difference comes in the way you blend it.
I’ve tried two different ways – shaking it in a shaker bottle and using a milk frother. I go with the latter because it’s small and much easier to take with you. Mine is similar to this one below:
I’ve not tried one of these self-stirring coffee mugs, but they’d be great to have at work or take on a trip.
Can you use sweeteners and flavors?
Yes! But with a caveat. For diehard Keto folks, sweeteners can’t be artificial and can’t be a sugar that affects insulin. Look for all natural sweeteners like Stevia or our favorite, Swerve which is made from erythritol. You won’t get any blood sugar spike from this, so it’s perfect to add to your BPC.
I do like to add cinnamon to my coffee and the health benefits of cinnamon are well known. The little bit of taste it adds is worth it too. You can definitely flavor your coffee – just be aware of the ingredients of anything you add.
Check out our video!
Pin it for later!
- Pour your coffee into a large mug or cup (large enough to allow the frother to stir ingredients
- Add all other ingredients to the coffee
- Using a frother or shakable tumbler (maybe a mason jar?) stir until mixed and frothy.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 448Total Fat 47gSaturated Fat 30gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 78mgSodium 205mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 7g