It’s scary how cool this butter board is! This charcuterie board variation is not just trendy, but it’s so easy to make. There’s nothing like a spooky wispy ghost made of butter and cream cheese to dip your bread or veggies in to give that slightly savory taste you can’t stop grazing.
And, by the way, we couldn’t stop.
This was so easy using softened butter and cream cheese, sprinkled with parmesan cheese. And it works with savory dippers or sweeter dippers. We went savory for ours – lots of veggies and sliced sourdough bread – but you do your thing based on what you’re serving. You can style the food on a cutting board or large platter. I’d use whatever size works for your event.
What is a butter board?
A butter board is similar to a grazing board. Spread a high-quality butter or butter compound on a wood board or platter (pro-tip: make sure you use a food safe cutting board oil on your board so you avoid splinters in your butter!) I got hooked from Justine Doiron‘s tiktok which features a simple salt, citrus, edible flowers and a drizzle of honey. They can be topped with a variety of seasonings and garnishes, though, which makes this such a customizable dip. You can serve with many different kinds of dippers, though the most common will be different breads and rolls. It’s a communal appetizer, so if you’re afraid of double dippers – I’d grab a butter spreader to serve with.
When do you serve a butter board?
These boards make a great appetizer or party food. Make it sweet and it’s also good for brunch. What kind of dippers work best? A classic combo would be a crusty french bread or sourdough. If wanting something low-carb, feel free to dip what you want! Butter is pretty good on anything if you ask me.
- Bagel Chips
- Tortilla Chips
- Soft Pretzel Bites
- Donut Holes
- Crackers (like our two ingredient keto crackers!)
Can you use any kind of butter?
I recommend sticking with the highest quality butter – not just for taste. A popular butter in the low-carb, keto community is Kerrygold grass-fed butter. If you’re ballin’ on a budget, feel free to use any unsalted butter. Like with this cream cheese variation, you can blend anything in the butter to provide a fresh taste or for a more savory take, like this pumpkin spice butter board.
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Black olives (for eyes)
- Prep your board - make sure your board is seasoned with cutting board oil and inspect for any unwanted splintering.
- Melt cream cheese - consistency should still have some structure and should not be runny. Microwaving for 15 seconds (be sure to watch) did the trick.
- Combine butter and cream cheese in a bowl and beat with hand mixer.
- Using a butter knife or spatula, scoop a dollap and smear on your board. Continue adding small smears until you have the shape you desire.
- Add remaining butter mixture on top to give some thickness.
- Place your olives for eyes and sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese.
- Add your dippers and enjoy! Goes great with veggies, toasted sourdough bread (we love Wegman’s rosemary sourdough bread) or bagel crisps.