Our chicken taco casserole is simple and flavorful. It’s low carb cheesy goodness in a casserole dish – so good you might just eat it out of the casserole dish. Here’s another great option for a keto-friendly taco Tuesday!
For full recipe, scroll to the bottom. Follow along here for step by step instructions.
How to make a chicken taco casserole
First start by sautéing the chicken in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil and the taco seasoning. Make sure to cook it through, but don’t overcook because we still have some baking time ahead.
I drain the RoTel tomatoes and green chilies, but you don’t have to. Mix the can with the sour cream until smooth and blended.
Then stir in half the cheese. We use a taco cheese blend, but you could use any cheese – a shredded pepper jack cheese would be awesome!
Layer chicken and then spread the sour cream mixture on top. No need to make it pretty or mix it up – it will all mix together when it bakes.
Cover with the remaining cheese. Then garnish with sliced black olives, green onions – or, if you want some more spice, add some chilies! You could totally jazz up this recipe by substituting or adding different ingredients such as:
- ground beef (check out my other taco casserole!)
- ground turkey
- green peppers
- scallops / shrimp
- salsa or queso
Bake it for about 30 minutes at 350 – or until your cheese melts / browns the way you want it. Remember, don’t overcook if you want leftovers to microwave during the week. This is an awesome meal prep recipe. I have not tried freezing it but I imagine it would do well.
Spoon it up and serve over cauliflower rice or another low carb base option like my new fave Palmini (heart of palm linguini). It’s great heated up the next day too! Heck, I could eat it cold.
If you give it a try, consider pinning it (below) and sharing a pic of your casserole!
Pin it for Later!
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into bitesize pieces
- 1 Tbs taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can RoTel Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 8 oz shredded taco cheese
- black olives (optional)
- green onions (optional)
- Over medium heat, cook chicken with taco seasoning until chicken is just cooked through.
- In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, drained can of RoTel tomatoes and 4 oz of taco cheese
- In an 8x8 casserole, spread chicken evenly on the bottom
- Top with sour cream mixture
- Sprinkle remaining 4 oz of cheese on top
- Garnish with slicked black olives and chopped green onions (optional)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Serve alone or over rice. We used cauliflower rice for a low carb option
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 456Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 93mgSodium 1127mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 25g