I love just about anything with shrimp. And rice. And cheese. And in a casserole dish. This is a delicious shrimp and cauliflower rice casserole, similar to shrimp and grits, but with a twist.
I’ve made this keto and low carb friendly. It’s rich, so be sure to track with your macros.
Ingredients for Shrimp and Cauliflower Rice Casserole
Onion and peppers – chop chop! I only used 1/2 of each, so maybe consider doubling the batch.
Then sauté peppers, onions and the shrimp in a sauce pan. When to add the shrimp depends on whether or not they are cooked. Mine were, so I added them at the end. You’ll have some baking time too, so you won’t want to overcook. Add the liquid ingredients and simmer until blended. It doesn’t need to thicken too much.
Now later cauliflower rice in a baking dish, top with the shrimp mixture and cheese. It’s all that simple.
Truth be told, I created this dish looking for a low carb option for shrimp and grits. I’d seen many recipes for shrimp and (cauli) grits, but I have to say, the cauli taste was quite present, so the idea that these were a grits substitute didn’t quite stick.
It was, however, delicious.
And pretty good heated up the next day for …. breakfast :) Scroll down for the recipe.
No time to make it today?
Pin it for later!
- 2 cups peeled, deveined shrimp
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbs grass fed butter
- 2 tbs cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the cauliflower rice. We use the bagged microwavable version and pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a large saucepan, sautee the onions, peppers.
- Add the shrimp. If using uncooked shrimp, add them and sautee until all pink. Do not overcook.
- Add cream, chicken stock, butter and cream cheese, and stir over low heat until just mixed.
- In a 13x9 casserole dish, spread the cauliflower, spread the shrimp mixture and top with the shredded cheese.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.