I love just about anything with shrimp. And rice. And cheese. And in a casserole dish. This is a delicious shrimp and cauliflower rice casserole, similar to shrimp and grits, but with a twist. I’m from the South and spent some time living in Louisiana, so eating shrimp and grits is almost a requirement.
I’ve made this keto and low carb friendly. It’s rich, so, if that’s you, be sure to track with your macros. When I’m not trying to make it low carb, I’ll sub grits or real rice for the cauli rice. If it seems too rich, You can use light versions of the cheeses.
You do you!
Ingredients for Shrimp and Cauliflower Rice Casserole
Onion and peppers – chop chop! I only used 1/2 of each, so maybe consider doubling the batch if you want to use the whole veggie. Double it? You won’t be disappointed.
Then sauté peppers, onions and the shrimp in a sauce pan. Determining the right time to add the shrimp depends on whether or not they are pre-cooked. Mine were, so I added them at the very end. You’ll have some baking time too, so you won’t want to overcook. Add the liquid ingredients and simmer until blended. It doesn’t need to thicken too much.
Since I’m originally from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, shrimp was always bathed in Old Bay. In fact, if you didn’t leave the table with your fingers burning from spice, you didn’t enjoy your meal enough. I didn’t add Old Bay to this recipe, but I might try that next!
Layer the cauliflower rice in a baking dish, top with the shrimp mixture and cheese. It’s all that simple.
Low Carb Shrimp and Grits?
Truth be told, I created this dish looking for a low carb option for shrimp and grits. I’d seen many recipes for shrimp and (cauli) grits, but I have to say, the cauli taste was quite present, so the idea that these were a grits substitute didn’t quite stick.
It was, however, delicious.
And pretty good heated up the next day for …. breakfast :) Scroll down for the recipe.
No time to make it today?
Pin it for later!
- 2 cups peeled, deveined shrimp
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbs grass fed butter
- 2 tbs cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the cauliflower rice. We use the bagged microwavable version and pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a large saucepan, sautee the onions, peppers.
- Add the shrimp. If using uncooked shrimp, add them and sautee until all pink. Do not overcook.
- Add cream, chicken stock, butter and cream cheese, and stir over low heat until just mixed.
- In a 13x9 casserole dish, spread the cauliflower, spread the shrimp mixture and top with the shredded cheese.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.