Have you ever tried a little Italian flavor in your stuffed peppers? To make them Keto compliant, they can’t have the rice – so it’s got to be cauliflower rice. But I add pepperonis to give it a little extra spicy twist. An Italian twist!
Stuffed pepper ingredients
The list of ingredients is simple. I only cook simple – if there are more than about 7 or 8 ingredients, I’m probably going to look to modify. Of course there are a ton of modifications you could make. And if I have to go to the store, it’s not happening tonight.
You can vary the ingredients of course, but this is a winning combination. But you do you and add the keto-friendly stuff you love. I used:
- Ground beef
- Cauliflower rice
- Italian seasoning
Oh and I make my own Italian seasoning and it’s pretty epic. Check out the recipe!
Preparing the Peppers
There’s some prep work here. You’ll make the mixture on the stove top and then start filling the peppers. I’ve got a great tip for cutting peppers – cut the very, very, very top off only. You want to leave as much pepper as possible to hold all that filling.
When you stuff them, make sure you really pack it in. There is shrinkage when it bakes. When I made the video, I didn’t take the time to do this and it shows. But because they are keto, they one kept me full for a meal. These are great to take as a work lunch!
Stuff and Bake the Peppers
They bake easy. There’s easily enough filling for four peppers with this recipe. I only had 3, so 3 you get! Put any leftovers on lettuce for a tasty salad! I wonder if it would be good cold for breakfast? Who am I kidding – it’s AMAZING served cold for breakfast. Yes, I did.
They toast up quickly which is why it’s good to have the stuffing well cooked. Once you bake it, you’re really just trying to soften the pepper and melt the cheese. Yes, we’re baking – we’re almost eating! Don’t these look yummy? Make sure you check my video to watch the recipe in action.
Can’t make it now?
Pin it for later!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/d cup chopped pepperonis
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- 1 cup low carb marinara sauce (we use Rao's)
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3-4 large bell peppers
- Brown the ground beef. About halfway through add the pepperonis and continue to brown both together.
- Add the marinara and cauliflower and most of the Italian spice (save a little for the end). Mix over medium heat until heated.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds until you have a clean inner pepper.
- Fill the peppers with a rotation of meat mixture and cheese until the peppers are over-filled, topping with a light sprinkle of Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for around 40 minutes, longer if you want softer peppers.