You might call it simple pleasures. Those things that almost seem to give you too much joy considering what they are. I know this isn’t a complete list because certain things are very individual. But some are universal and I’ll bet you’re on board. Let’s see if I can get most of them…
- First time breaking the surface of the peanut butter. (or icing or nutella or…)
- First time opening a book and hearing that subtle cracking of the book’s spine.
- The smell of Sharpies.
- When you pour a soda or beer and it just hits the top without going over.
- When a sticker peels off in one piece with no residue left behind.
- Brand new socks on your feet.
- Freshly washed sheets on your bed.
- That first smell of coffee in the morning.
- The smell of bacon cooking any time of the day.
- And while we’re on smells, the first time it smells like fall.
- And while we’re on seasons, the first footprint in new snow.
- Baby head sniffs.
- The first squirt of toothpaste on your toothbrush.
File this under “things we love too much”: the first squeeze of the toothpaste.
Now let’s contrast that with things that we might enjoy but that are actually uncomfortable.
- If you are a beach person, walking on sand with wet feet.
- Dipping your feet in the pool when it’s too cold.
- Counting new dollar bills that stick together.
- Getting drenched in a rain storm.
Did I miss any?