We don’t usually get a summer vacation. In fact, for the last three summers, we’ve moved IN the summer, hence that was my vacation. Pffft. Not fun.
I don’t think we’ll get to go away this summer – for a number of reasons – but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen which is poo. But that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun at home. Here are some fun ways to have the best summer staycation at home and make it a vacation to remember.
1. First – plan some time off if you can. Even if it’s a long weekend, that will make it seem like a vacation. If you can’t take time off, dedicate a week of evenings to fun family time.
2. Give it a name like the Sellers’ Week of Awesome. If you can’t think of your own, borrow ours – but change the name so your family isn’t confused – heh.
3. Daily events – try local fun spots and educational venues.
- Art or Cultural Museums
- Children’s Museums
- Nearby theme parks or county fair
- Wineries – some are family friendly
- Historical landmarks
- Kayak, hike, picnic
4. Buy one local souvenir. T-shirt, mug, hat.
5. Watch a local sports game. If you don’t have major or minor league, find a summer league, take a cooler and have fun even if you don’t know the teams.
6. Have a movie day. Everyone picks a movie and everyone picks the snacks. Binge watch and eat all day (psst. we call this “every Sunday”).
7. Plan a talent show. Just family, or grab some friends – and everyone has to participate! Make up fun awards for everyone.
8. Buy sparklers and have your own “fireworks”. (OK might not be legal in all areas!)
9. Have a paint night. Let everyone paint or draw the same picture, and then frame them all next to each other – it’s fun to see how different or similar everyone’s is.
10. Have a theme day or theme dinner – and let everyone make their own costumes and decorations.
11. Play with your food. Give everyone a plastic knife and let them carve watermelon, cheese, cake – use your imagination – any soft food into fun designs. Use Pinterest as your inspiration.
12. Camp out in the backyard. Or if you don’t have a yard, throw blankets over the dining table and sleep there!
13. EAT ICE CREAM EVERY DAY.
14. Go on a car ride and play car games.
15. Try a food you’ve never tried, especially if it’s a foreign food – just like you would if you were in a far away place.
16. Make a family movie. Write the script, pull together costumes and props and record the whole thing! Play it back later and prepare the giggles.
17. Photograph the whole thing and create an album just like you would for a fancy vacation. In fact, make that one of the vacation activities.
Now go out there and put those money-spending, big-vacation-taking people to shame!