As I settle into my role as “mom” there have been some things that I’m not sure I could have done without. There can be a lot of down time when it comes to naps and feeding. Newborns, while cute and little bundles of joy can be a little boring. They eat, sleep, and poop. and if you’re lucky like me, you have a little one who just sits there and makes faces at you. In that case, check out number 2 on my must have list for the first few weeks at home with your newborn.
Read more: Coundown to Baby Beck
Learn more: Organic Baby Care Products: What’s New For Baby?
1. Netflix, or a TV series- This came in rather handy during feedings, especially in the middle of the night. It’s nice to have something to occupy your mind while baby sucks away, it also takes your mind off the pain if you haven’t gotten acclimated to nursing.
2. Instagram- I don’t know how many instagrams I have posted about this baby, but it is more than 2 a day I can assure you.
3. Colace– (or other stool softener)- If the hospital didn’t make you go before you leave (like me) that first go is terrifying. I was so scared of the pain, or that I might rip my stitches, I was thankful for any stool softener. It made me a little more confident.
4. Lanolin– (if breastfeeding) and nursing pads– seriously. You will get chapped. You will not be the exception. It will hurt. A lot.You will leak when your milk comes in. Be prepared. I wasn’t (cue leaking at the pediatrician’s office that week).
5. Yoga pants– I personally feel more “dressed up” in these glorified pajama pants. Even when you’re sitting at home it helps to “glam up” a little bit to make yourself feel better.
6.Hand sanitizer– keep those visitor germs away from your baby! (I am loving the Candy Cane scent from Bath and Body Works!)
7. Swing, bouncer, or play yard- I’m a personal fan of 4Moms’s Mamaroo, and so is Baby B. These are nice “babysitters” when you’re too tired to hold that baby any more, or you need a hand so you can blog or pinterest or something.
8. Mama Mio tummy rub– One of my pregnancy must haves, this stretch mark cream truly smells and feels great while helping your tummy snap back to being tight…er.
What was your lifesaver for the first week home with your new baby?
Learn more: Rules For Visiting A New Baby