Dear PR: about those hi res images

Hi Res Images Blogger PR

Unless they are of bacon.

Tips for PR / Brands and Blogger Outreach

We are all bombarded by requests every day to post this and that and are told hi-res images are available. *hits snooze button*.  Have you ever taken them up on that offer? I know it happens but I’m sure it’s rare. I’m also sure you’ve cussed at your inbox at one time or another from the sheer volume of these requests.

What would you like PR to know? It’s the obvious right?

Rule 1: We typically aren’t content curators – when it comes to products we like.  We are content creators.  Organic conversations have been happening around brands on our blogs for years – that’s how this whole “hit up the mommy bloggers” got started.  We were talking about your products and you wanted a way to leverage that.  That is so 2009 though.  Times have changed and outreach has evolved.

When hi-res images can pay my rent, we’ll talk.  A LOT.

I actually asked a brand person for those hi-res images once.  It was National Iced Tea Day and I’m an iced tea addict.  When Lipton reached out to me offering me said images I said, “Why not!  Send them! That is something I would post about”.  I never heard back.

Rule 2: If you find someone who WANTS the hi-res images you should probably send them  before they change their mind. *snickers*

I’d like YOU to offer your insight in the comments here or on twitter and facebook about what’s acceptable and why.  Let’s hashtag any conversations on twitter #DearPR.

13 Comments on Dear PR: about those hi res images

1. Krystyn
    September 19, 2012 at 10:15 am (3 years ago)

Besides, last time I checked, images on the www aren’t high resolution anyways.

My favorite? Sending me a pitch for toys and then offering high res images…yeah, let me see if my kids can play with those!

• Erica Mueller
      September 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm (3 years ago)

Oh My goodness. I was going to say the same thing. The whole hi-res thing makes me laugh so hard, cause they just don’t get it! A high resolution image is worth no more to me than a low resolution image, or a screenshot of the product from your website.

How about this brands…. send me a product to actually try and use. I will take my own photos and you’ll have pictures of people actually using your products in a review that talks about how it worked out for my family.

2. Anne - Mommy Has to Work
    September 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm (3 years ago)

Or how about one coupon for a pice of candy for a whole post? No way!!

3. Meghan @JaMonkey
    September 20, 2012 at 10:17 am (3 years ago)

HAHA Sharing this with the Georgia Social Media crew…we’ve slammed a few companies because of this!

4. Sheila
    September 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm (3 years ago)

LMAO!! I was just going to post something about this on my blog.. and still might! I got 18 emails today.. YES…. Today!!

5. HilLesha
    September 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm (3 years ago)

I get this all of the time, and I’m quick to tell them that those high resolution images don’t pay the bills. :)

6. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    September 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm (3 years ago)

It’s hilarious that they actually think that offer might be enticing!

7. nicole @nicky_olea
    September 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm (3 years ago)

Said no one ever! No…unless its for a cause or something I believe in

8. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies
    September 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm (3 years ago)

Ha! So true. The best part is that they always manage to work in how your readers are just gonna LOVE it. Is that just what they say or do they really truly believe that?

9. Notorious Spinks
    September 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm (3 years ago)

This post is hilarious. I was just talking about this. I told one lady that I rent space on the world wide web and if you want some space on my space then you have to pay rent too.

10. Anne
    September 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm (3 years ago)

So true, images are not where it is at

11. HilLesha
    September 25, 2012 at 10:22 am (3 years ago)

Such a wonderful post! ;)