I never thought this would happen, not to me anyway. I had my whole life planned out on a timeline. Finish school in 2015, get an internship before graduation, maybe work for that company full time. I would get married, at least at 25. And a child shortly after that. Never at 19. Not get pregnant at 19 years old.

When I found out I was scared. My first option: don’t lose sight of your timeline; terminate. How could I give up the life I had ahead of me? But then I started thinking, life throws curve balls all the time, am I being a coward and running away? I did what every teenage girl in this situation does…I shopped online. ;)

I don’t know if you all know this…but babies are expensive. Termination confirmed. I can’t do this on my own, not even with the help of baby-daddy. I had no idea how much support I would have from my family, and telling my father? Good lord, no. I thought about how disappointed he would be…I found it awkward (thanks mom for handling that bt-dubs). “oh hey Dad! Guess what! I’m Pregnant!” Not one of our typical conversations.

I had downloaded apps on my phone for baby names, and picked out my favorites. I told them to BD (who is not a huge fan of the idea…yet), some he liked, some he hated. (are we starting to see what’s happening??) By the time we told my sister, everyone was use to the idea. I don’t think I have ever seen such loving support from her, but she drove all the way to RVA from Chattanooga to tell me it would be OK, and I have so much support from her, mom, Derek, and Dad. They would all bend over backwards for this child, and thats when I knew I wanted needed this.

Once I had started picking out names, i realized my heart wanted something different. I thought that it only applied to pets, but it was a million and one times true for this baby.

39 Comments on Is this real life??

1. Hannah Braboy
    May 2, 2012 at 10:35 pm (5 years ago)

Gracious, Maggie. I’m so proud of you and proud to call you a friend. You are a brave wonder woman.

xo

P.S. You made me cry.

• Maggie
      May 3, 2012 at 8:49 am (5 years ago)

Aw Hannah, Thank you! That means so much to me!!! see you soon!!!

2. Katja of Skimbaco
    April 22, 2012 at 11:07 am (5 years ago)

I am a big believer that things happen in life for a reason, and even if at times now it may feel “why now” – it will hit you one day “of course now”. There is also a reason why pregnancy is 9 months long – you will have plenty of time to get used to the idea, and get ready for the baby, and sounds like you are for an awesome start and you have your head and heart in the right places. You will be an amazing mother, and you are lucky to have a huge support group around you. Wishing you all the best and looking forward reading more!

• Maggie
      April 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks so much for the kind words. I too believe things happen for a reason and this is such a blessing.

3. Cassie Boorn
    April 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm (5 years ago)

This is such a beautiful post. You are going to be an amazing mother and I am will be more than happy to bestow my wisdom on this child. ;) I am so proud of you! xoxoxoxox

• Maggie
      April 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm (5 years ago)

Awww Cassie!! Thanks so much! I’ll be looking to you for lots of answers.

4. Auntie Peg
    April 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm (5 years ago)

Hope you will include us in your family of support. This may be turning your life upside down, but you are handling it with such strength and maturity that I know you will find more blessings in it than you could ever imagine. Take good care of yourself and know that you are loved.

• Maggie
      April 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Auntie. It’s really nice to hear from you. Mom says since we didn’t get to take me to the American Girl store (like Grandmommy had wanted) maybe we can take this baby. Well if it’s a girl. If it’s a boy, maybe a ball game!

And I’ll be painting the bassinet too. Not sure what colors (thinking yellow and grey), but I’ll send a picture!

• Auntie Peg
        April 22, 2012 at 6:40 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds good to me. I’ve had this guilt thing that I didn’t do what my big sister asked, or rather TOLD, me to do, so I’ll be happy to have a chance to make up for my “failure”. :)

5. @BarbaraJones
    April 20, 2012 at 11:20 am (5 years ago)

Maggie – you are very brave and have some very loving and wise support from your mom and your family. Don’t forget, if it takes a village to raise a child, you’re in the right place. This community will be there for you and help in any way you need. (Oh, yeah and they’re a bit opinionated too so beware…heh.) I wish you all the best in your new adventure into motherhood. You’ll be awesome!

• Maggie
      April 22, 2012 at 12:19 pm (5 years ago)

I love opinions! I have a lot too (in case you didn’t notice!) Thanks for your sweet words. And next Blissdom? Three generations in attendance at once. Is that a first?

6. Amber
    April 20, 2012 at 11:03 am (5 years ago)

Maggie! You are going to be an amazing and fun mom! So proud of you for sharing this journey. You are an extraordinary young lady and that’s in no small part to your extraordinary mom :) You have everything you need in your family! Can’t wait to see you again!

• Maggie
      April 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Amber! Can’t wait to see you too. Blissdom Baby has new meaning for me!

7. Stacie @ The Divine Miss Mommy
    April 19, 2012 at 10:13 pm (5 years ago)

Wow! You sound more together now at 19 than I was at 30. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You are going to be great mother and you have an amazing support system! Your child is lucky!!!! :)

• Maggie
        April 20, 2012 at 11:11 am (5 years ago)

Oh well thank you Stacie! deep down I’m terrified, but I’m so excited and it just covers everything up!!

8. MommyNamedApril
    April 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm (5 years ago)

take advantage of your support system and still keep your personal goals. things will take longer, but you can do it. knowing your mom, i’m sure you will flourish as a mommy.

• Maggie
      April 20, 2012 at 11:10 am (5 years ago)

Thank you April, i really appreciate it!

9. Molly Gold
    April 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm (5 years ago)

And so the unexpected page turns to a new chapter in your life never even remotely imagined yet SO full of promise and hope. Surrounded by the love of your family, walk bravely knowing your life will be more blessed than you could have ever known. Welcome to your first miracle Maggie =)

• Maggie
      April 20, 2012 at 11:09 am (5 years ago)

Thank you Molly! I’m very excited for the road ahead!

10. Amy @ Taste Like Crazy
    April 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm (5 years ago)

I vote for Mini Mini Linney. I think it has a nice ring to it. No?

I’m here for you–just like everyone above me. You need me, you email me.

And is it bad I can’t wait to find out if you’re baking a boy or a girl?

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm (5 years ago)

Um, I can’t wait to find out either!! And I love Mini Mini Linney :)

11. Emily @ColoradoMom
    April 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm (5 years ago)

I got pregnant at 19 as well. Best thing that ever happened to me. Truly. You will be an amazing mom!

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks so much! It means a lot to hear from women who were once in the same boat I am.

12. Jessica @FoundtheMarbles
    April 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm (5 years ago)

You are so lucky to have such wonderful support from your family. With them by your side, you are going to be able to handle any adventure that comes your way. Take care of yourself. You are going to be great!

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Jessica! I couldn’t do this without them and everyone here :)

13. Kelly
    April 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm (5 years ago)

I was in your shoes 15 years ago, and I can tell you that you have an amazing support system in your mom, family, and the blogging community. I had the same debate in my head for weeks, and eventually thought about adoption, but after visiting an agency with my then boyfriend (now husband) we just couldn’t do it. I still remember sitting in a pizza shop with him talking about having a baby together and what we would name it. Now that baby is 14, and while it hasn’t been easy we now have 3 more children and a wonderful marriage.

And as far as all the ‘stuff’ goes-babies really only need loving arms after all the family and friends get through buying you things. We were able to get everything we needed and then some for our baby’s first 18 months from all the shower gifts we got.

I’m really looking forward to reading more of your journey here.

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:21 pm (5 years ago)

Aw thank you Kelly! I definitely had adoption in my mind, but I agree, I just can’t do it!

14. Christine
    April 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm (5 years ago)

Maggie ~

You’re not alone in this…there are women all over the country who have you in their thoughts and prayers, who will be there for you for questions and moral support, and have oodles of love for you. Even from people, like myself, who haven’t met you YET. <3

You're going to be a fabulous mommy…this babe will know they are loved, and nothing matters more.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

PS: This is my all-time fave baby-naming website: http://www.behindthename.com/ Supah fun!

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm (5 years ago)

Aw Thank you Christine! It means a lot having so much support! Especially from people who I’m sure I’ll meet soon!!

15. Robyn Wright
    April 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm (5 years ago)

{{{HUGS}}} It is so fabulous that your family is being so supportive! I think love will not be lacking for this new child at all.

Yes, babies are expensive, but you will be suprised at the deals you can find, at the gifts you will receive, and how it all just sort of works out.

Take extra good care of yourself and take your prenatal vitamins!

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Robyn! I couldn’t believe they were so supportive, all of them anyway!

16. Malia
    April 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm (5 years ago)

At the risk of sounding a bit mother-ish, I’m really, really proud of you Maggie. You’re taking a difficult situation and making the best of it. Your child is already SO LOVED by so many people! Motherhood is wild ride no matter what age you step into it. And, having a baby doesn’t mean your plans are no longer attainable. I know young women who finished college and started careers with a baby in tow. Your plans just got a little rearranged, that’s all. I’m looking forward to following along in your pregnancy and eventually meeting the newest addition to Linneyville! Many blessings to you!

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:14 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Malia :) It is true, looking at so many women my mom knows that are rockstars and young moms helped me realize I could get through this A-OK!

17. Kelby
    April 19, 2012 at 4:54 pm (5 years ago)

You are so brave for writing this post and taking the harder road. I know it must be scary ad overwhelming, but honestly no one is ever ready to become a mom. I know your mom will be a huge support. :-)

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Kelby, I’m ready to do my necessary growing up to be a mommy!

18. Angela England
    April 19, 2012 at 4:53 pm (5 years ago)

You, my dear, are one of four non-family members I have EVER let take one of my children anywhere out of sight-line. You will rock this.

Yes it means changes – like graduating highschool. A twinge of sadness for what is lost is normal and OK. We all, us mothers, felt it under the BEST of circumstances. So don’t be surprised or feel guilty if you feel that. It. Is. NORMAL.

But simultaneous to that twinge of what’s being lost is the nervous excitement for what’s coming next. It’s never easy. To lose your heart so completely so someone else is beyond description. But you’re going to make it. You’re going to be OK. You are not alone. And you are covered with prayer.

And! Your baby is going to have the rowdiest “cousins” in my family. :-) Anytime you need a break send your little one over…one more will fit right in!

((hugs))

Angela <

• Maggie
      April 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Ang. And be sure to pass on a great big hello to my bestie Brianna!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Is this real life??