It started with a frantic call a week ago Friday…Maggie screaming on the phone… I’m trying to calm her down enough to get an understandable word from her… you make out pieces like “accident” “car” and amidst the panicky screams you think it’s the last time you’ll talk to your daughter.

It was just after noon.  She was on her way home from college for the night.  She was driving alone and I figured she was about 1 – 2 hours away based on when I thought she had left. My brain goes into full blown crisis mode.

I had to calm her down enough to find out if she was OK.

Lot’s of “breath, breath”… and I was able to get out of her that, yes, she was fine… “can the car be drivin?”, she told me no.  I called my son and said “we have to drive to get her and we need to leave now”.  I still didn’t know the where, but I knew I had to head in her direction.  pronto…

We get updates via cell.  Cops came, people stopped, she went to the ER to have her neck checked out, and by the I crossed the VA / NC border, she was being released from the hospital.  She was fine – and for the life of me I’ll never understand how.

Thank God – and I still do every day.

I also thank God for the NC family that stopped at the scene and stayed at the hospital with her until I got there.  There is a 24 hour spa with mounds of chocolate and ice cream waiting in Heaven JUST FOR PEOPLE LIKE THAT.

I’m convinced the Acura saved her from injury.  I don’t want to re-live all the details of the accident, but it involved being cut off on the highway, losing control, a lot of spinning and being hit and then more spinning.  When we saw the car at the tow place we both broke down.

When I went two days later to get her tags and personal items crowbarred out of the trunk, I broke down again.

Hug your kids about 100 times today.  If you buy them a car buy the safest one you can afford.  Maybe lock them in their rooms for the next 30 years and never let them out of your sight – maybe unrealistic but tempting when something like this happens.

Oh crap do it anyway…

16 Comments on Yes, I die a little every time I look at this

1. Lauralee Hensley
    September 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, God is Good, I’m so glad he watched over her. That’s why I pray traveling prayers of safety for everyone in my family, everyday. The one time I didn’t pray them, is the day my husband was T-boned by a state worker vehicle that blew through a stop light. Thank God, both men only ended up with banded up elbows, and I don’t know how they were that lucky either. God, must have know that I meant to pray, but just hadn’t yet.

2. Arianne
    September 19, 2011 at 10:27 am (6 years ago)

oh my word, so grateful all was ok! {{hugs}}

3. Rachel
    September 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm (6 years ago)

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!

Hugs to you and Mags and thank God she’s okay!!!! <3

4. Tara R.
    September 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm (6 years ago)

Oh Linda! I got this same call last year, one of the worst moments as a mom. Your child is scared and maybe hurt, and you can’t get to her fast enough. My daughter’s car was hit by a guy who ran a red light, totaled her little Dodge Neon. I am so glad your daughter is okay and wasn’t seriously injured in her accident.

September 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm (6 years ago)

oh my, hope your daughter was ok too… maggie is worried I’ll be buying her a hummer after this!!

• Tara R.
        September 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm (6 years ago)

She had some muscular problems with her back, and spent several months in physical therapy, but she’s great now. We did get her a much more substantial car to drive. Still, a Hummer may have been a better choice.

5. Jen
    September 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm (6 years ago)

I clicked on your link from Twitter and read this, crying once I saw that photo. Hugs mama and fam – and smiles, that she is okay. I have a 6 year old child, the things there are to worry about out there!

September 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm (6 years ago)

there is so much to worry about with kids – and it seems to ever end – thanks for the hugs…

September 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm (6 years ago)

thanks so much. yes one of the scariest days of my life – and hers too. life changing

6. Sharon
    September 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm (6 years ago)

Holy crap, that is a miracle that she is okay. So happy to hear that she wasn’t hurt.

September 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm (6 years ago)

definitely a miracle. and thank you!

7. carrie
    September 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm (6 years ago)

omg I am so glad she is okay! I have a daughter who is driving to school & work and back again and I don’t worry too much, but I do dread getting “that” phone call, you just never know.

September 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

you never stop worrying do you?

8. Shell
    September 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm (6 years ago)

Oh, that is frightening! So glad that she was okay- looking at that car gives me chills.

September 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

thank you so much! gives me chills too. feeling so blessed