I’m collecting boxes right now.  Lots of them.

I’ve made the decision to sell my house.  My mortgage is high, my house is in disrepair and I don’t have the desire to maintain something so overwhelmingly labor intensive…by myself.

God knows since my divorce I’ve done what I could to keep the kids from having too much change in their lives.  We’ve stayed in the same house and same schools and kept the same friends.

But in the process I’ve kept myself from making the one change I’ve needed in my life…

…to get out from under a house that I didn’t enjoy to begin with.  From the moment we bought it I didn’t click with the house or the neighborhood.  I think that kept me from enjoying life the way I should have.  If you went down the list of “things I wanted in a house” this had nothing on that list.  We bought it because the basement was perfect for their dad.  Made sense at the time.

Well he’s moved on.

The kids are moving on as they graduate, get jobs and so on, and it’s time for me to do what I want to do.

I’ve got a job – a career – which I love and now I need a home that I can love just as much.  And home may be an apartment for now.  I’m figuring that out pretty quickly.

It’s a little bit exciting.

It’s a little bit terrifying.

It’s a lot needed.

When my mom was dying back in 2001, I knew I would inherit everything that she had accumulated in her house – 30 years or more.  She told me jokingly,  “I feel for you having to sort out this mess.  Just bring in a bulldozer – have fun, and then buy a Porche!”  We would laugh.

And the random stuff I had to get rid of.  The WWII missile in the garage was the kicker.  I kid you not, there was a (we believe dead) bomb in the garage.  It had been there 30+ years and I had no idea.  She told me good luck figuring out how to get rid of that and try not to end up on the front page of the newspaper.

I told her I would take care of everything so she could enjoy what she could of her last days.

Watching your mom take her last breath makes a bomb in the garage seem like a no brainer.

She was also the keeper of a lot of memorabilia from my step dad, grandparents and great grand parents…we used to say everyone got a box when they died.  It held the things you couldn’t quite get rid of.  False teeth, baby teeth, army medals, Ronald Reagan buttons.  My step dad got two boxes.  He was special like that.

I’ve not been able to sort my mom into a box yet.

I have to do that now.

For some reason it’s taken 10 years to be able to do that.  But I’m ready to tackle it so I can move forward.  The real challenge is that I’ve moved so far backward in the past few years that I’ve got a lot of ground to cover to get to square one.

So I’ll take it all one box at a time.

One for my mom.

And one for me. OK maybe 2.  I like to think I’m special enough like my step dad.

Whatever…I’m moving on and moving out.

Missile free.

And it feels really good.

15 Comments on Everyone Gets A Box

1. Weekend Cowgirl
    May 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm (7 years ago)

Less can be better and in your case it sounds like it will set you free. Have fun and enjoy your new journey!

2. Nota Supermom
    May 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm (7 years ago)

Change is hard, but you are doing so well.
    You’re like the Mary Tyler Moore of Short Pump. You need to spin around in the courtyard of the mall and throw a beret up in the air.

3. MommyNamedApril
    May 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm (7 years ago)

love you linney. amazing post. you’re moving onward and upward.

4. Valerie @ADisneyFamly
    May 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm (7 years ago)

Oh Linda, if you didn’t live so far away I would come over with many boxes and help you. I can’t imagine how hard it will be to pack up so many memories. I too am such a keeper of memorabilia, and to find one that is big enough and is meant for my mom. (shivers). However, You Are Special (you’ll need more than even 2 boxes for you) , and brave and totally deserving a refreshing new change for just you this time around. Good for you to take that next step and begin a new chapter in your life. How exciting! And by the way, I love that picture of your reflection in the window

May 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm (7 years ago)

you are such a special friend. i hope we spend real chit chat time together soon.

5. Malia
    May 7, 2011 at 11:35 am (7 years ago)

I know you think you’ve been stuck and have only moved backwards but in the time I’ve known you, I’ve witnessed a lot of forward movement. You’ve handled some hefty milestones recently. You’re strong and you’ve got a wonderful future ahead of you. Be sure to bedazzle that box, mkay?

May 7, 2011 at 11:42 am (7 years ago)

definitely bedazzle! wouldn’t be here without friends like you.. thanks so much!

6. Mishi
    May 7, 2011 at 10:58 am (7 years ago)

Wishing you ALL the best! xo

May 7, 2011 at 11:09 am (7 years ago)

thanks! love you.

7. The Culture Mom
    May 7, 2011 at 10:55 am (7 years ago)

When my mom (I hate to even say it) passes away, it will take the rest of my life to get over it, so kudos to you for being so proactive after dealing with so many life changes. I hope that your move starts a whole new chapter of your life.

May 7, 2011 at 11:09 am (7 years ago)

I’ve been stuck in a time warp for 10 year. Taking a cue from the “Hoarders” shows and realizing the memories don’t have to be tied to the objects. Especially when they sit in your attic untouched for this long.

8. jodifur
    May 7, 2011 at 10:52 am (7 years ago)

Yeah for you! Good luck.

May 7, 2011 at 11:08 am (7 years ago)

thanks, it’s friends like you that keep me going…

9. Jennheffer
    May 7, 2011 at 10:43 am (7 years ago)

Awww, what a sweet, sentimental yet powerful post! Good for you! Sell the house, move on!

Oh and you don’t seem like a ‘one box’ kinda gal to me! ;o)

May 7, 2011 at 11:07 am (7 years ago)

thanks so much. box number may depend on apartment size. there’s a mathematical formula somewhere in there :)