I was amazed and demystified when someone MY DAUGHTER WHO JUST REMINDED ME OF IT IN THE COMMENTS OMG SHE READS MY BLOG finally showed me the “white balance” button on my Canon, and now the amount of photos I waste because they are yellow is decreasing substantially.

What there was a manual I could read? PSHAW.

Now I use Picnik.com to remove that yellow glow from my old photos.

This was a tuna melt.  The tuna is yellow by design because I like to make it with a dijon mayonnaise mix.  The cheese was a white american but you would not know it.

When I pull the photo into Picnik the first thing I try is the Color>Saturation to see if that is enough.  DE-Saturating the item is often all you need to DE-yellow a photo.

If not, I usually pull up the Contrast and adjust just enough to make it pop.

Then go to ADVANCED (you need premium picnik for this)

Pull up the curves and in the Channel dropdown pull up the blue channel line.  Move the line by dragging to the left/up until you see the yellow removed.  Or is it the blue added?

Adjust brightness if you need to, but it’s really that easy.  And if you upload your photos to flickr then you can work on them in picnik there!

Now this looks a little more appetizing, huh?

Subscribe to our newsletter and receive a free printable!

11 Comments on Get the Yellow Out of Your Photos

1. DesignHER Momma
    October 29, 2010 at 9:55 am (7 years ago)

even the white plate looks better! I’ll be using this feature now thanks to you…

2. Dawn's Diversions
    October 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm (7 years ago)

I love Picnik. I always start with exposure – advanced and then go to color.

It’s amazing how easy using Picnik is and what a difference it makes for my pictures. I actually prefer Picnik over my Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. It’s just so much faster!

Great job!

3. Lauralee Hensley
    October 1, 2010 at 9:53 pm (7 years ago)

Recipe book editors/illustrators take note, look how delicious she made her tuna Dijon Tuna Melt rock in the after photo.

4. MommaDJane
    October 1, 2010 at 10:59 am (7 years ago)

I love your tutorials and love your headers!

5. Malia
    October 1, 2010 at 8:57 am (7 years ago)

Love me some Picnik!

And really loving your headers!

6. Caroline Sellers
    September 30, 2010 at 11:21 pm (7 years ago)

it was your daughter that showed you

September 30, 2010 at 11:23 pm (7 years ago)

OMG she’s going all DIVA on me now. Will correct the post. You know, my memory and all…

LOVE YOU!!

7. Sunday
    September 30, 2010 at 7:17 pm (7 years ago)

Wow! I have used Picnik Premium for 2 years now and I have never known what in the world that curves bar was for. Thanks for the walk-through!

Also, I adore your new changing header…its tres chic!

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Get the Yellow Out of Your Photos

1. […] Fun huh?  I know, I need to take some of the yellow out of that photo.  I can help you with that in this tutorial! […]