I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay. Crabbing is what you do for dinner many nights. If you visit Washington DC and don’t try the seafood you are missing out. There is nothing like a Chesapeake Bay blue crab. Hands down. It’s a national treasure!
One of our favorite recipes includes backfin crabmeat and avocados. The two flavors are a perfect combination. And kids love them too! Try out these wraps and see if you don’t agree.
Avocado Crab Wrap Chesapeake Bay Style
Sundried Tomato Tortilla Wraps
1/2 lb backfin crabmeat
1 avocado pitted, pealed and sliced
Sauce to taste
*sauce recipe is 2/3 cup mayo, 1/4 cup horseradish flavored mustard and 1 Tablespoon Old Bay seasoning (more or less to taste)
Spread the sauce on the tortilla (to taste, and I like a lot) and top with the crab, avocado and lettuce. Roll and cut and serve with extra crab claws, the extra dip and a dill pickle.
The pickle is important.
And so is the avocado! Did you know:
According to the USDA-ARS, phytonutrients such as those found in Avocados may be beneficial to your health in a number of ways. More research is needed to firmly establish what phytonutrients do. They may:
• Serve as antioxidants
• Enhance your immune response
• Help metabolize vitamin A
Suddenly this recipe becomes a national treasure!
I am participating in the Mexican Hass Avocado Importers Association (MHAIA) “Big Hit” contest:
* Along with the contest information, participating bloggers will post their favorite game-day avocado recipe that best embodies the spirit of their hometown
* The Avocado League is featuring hometown recipes in Atlanta, Boston, Baltimore, Charlotte, Chicago, Philadelphia, New York and Washington, D.C.
* MHAIA will choose 8 bloggers – one from each featured hometown – with the best recipe from the blog tour as members of the Avocado League, with public voting of their dishes to take place in late September.
Wish me luck!
“I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Mexican Hass Avocado Importers Association. Mom Central also sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.”