I’m not saying it’s easy to run a household and that I can do anything better than Martha.  I’m just saying that maybe she needs to chill a little.

All info from Martha is found on her site.  Which is awesome…if you are superwoman on speed.  And she has some great how to’s…if you have time to be perfect which I do not…I spend way too much time being NOT perfect.  It’s a challenge…

But Martha has it going on…like….

For instance How To Fold Sheets

Martha says:

“Bring your right hand to your left, and fold the corner in your right hand over the one in your left, enveloping it. Next, reach down and pick up the corner that is hanging in front; bring it up, and fold it over the two corners in your left hand; the corner that’s showing will be inside out….etc…”

The Domestic Hack says:

“OK now my biceps hurt.  Dude, she says all that and more…I just posted the first step.  THE FIRST STEP… I’m exhausted just thinking about that.  Flip ’em over and roll them in a ball.  They stretch out on the mattress anyway so who cares if they are wrinkled?”

How to Make an Antique Mirror

Martha says:

This romantic “antique” mirror is actually a clear piece of glass made softly reflective using eglomise, a glass-gilding technique popularized in the 18th century.  To make a softly reflective mirror, use glass from a picture frame or have a piece cut to fit a favorite frame. Silver leaf, sold in booklets of 3-by-3-inch squares, is easy to work with, but very delicate (1,000 stacked sheets equal the thickness of a nickel).

The Domestic Hack says:

Go to the Goodwill, find any mirror and leave it outside for a few months. Instant antique…or shabby whatever….it will look OLD.  Don’t mind the neighbors complaining about junk in the yard.  Tell them you are bringing the inside out…and bringing it back in when it’s ready.  That’s right, EGLOMISE THIS..

How to Make a Puppet Theater:

Martha says:

“For the theater, transform a plain cardboard box into a playhouse with curtains, moving scenery, and doors that open and close for each act. You can use our templates to make chow chows, frogs, sharks, rabbits, fish, and birds, or fashion your own paper animals using your imagination. Joined with brass paper fasteners, the puppets’ limbs are pulled by strings, and sturdy dowels enable you to move the figures around the stage.”

The Domestic Hack says:

Ok, this is just crazy….Chow Chow’s? Are you kidding me?   Get the whole family together. (you are going to need the muscle) and 1. 2. 3…pull the couch out.  This is the theater – jump behind it.  Grab any socks without holes (if you have any) for puppets, make faces with a permanent marker (they’ll be inside shoes, no one will know)  stick your hands in, reach up over the couch and start yappin’.  Grab the wilted celery or twigs for trees if you really want scenery.

How is that?  I don’t make this stuff up, I just make this stuff easier!!

This post was inspired by my friend Marie.  Not that she’s Martha.  Though she’s pretty perfect…just ask her.

19 Comments on Martha vs. the Domestic Hack – Home Edition

1. Marsha Steinbrook
    February 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm (7 years ago)

Some antique collectors just have a passion for history. They like to understand and to know why a precise object was used, how it turned out used or who made use of it. They are fascinated by the obvious ways the world and technology possesses changed and grown. By collecting objects from the past they feel like they’re partially connected to a period of time in which they never lived, is long long gone but somehow still lasted.

2. Mommie Daze
    March 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm (8 years ago)

You beat out Martha any day!

I’ve tried that sheet thing. Way too hard. I just sort of scrunch them up, and shove them in the linen the closet. The wrinkles come out after you sleep on them for a night or two.
    .-= Mommie Daze´s last blog ..Bedtime =-.

3. Hip Mom's Guide
    March 9, 2010 at 9:44 am (8 years ago)

Love this! Thanks for the laugh – it was a great way to start my day.

And, I am all about wrinkly sheets and pulling the couch out. Perfect!

4. karen M
    March 4, 2010 at 12:03 am (8 years ago)

You got the finger pointing down pat, I like your style of folding the sheets, so much more fun your way. Thanks for the giggles.!

5. Lauralee Hensley
    March 3, 2010 at 7:59 pm (8 years ago)

Wow, you two are not looking eye to eye on these things.
    Yet, on neither of these index fingers do I see any ring championship bling.
    Wonder who’ll win.
    If it will be templated chow chow’s, or sock puppet friends.
    Which finger is quicker to the draw?
    Both of your sheet folding techniques put me in awe.
    Why not take them directly out of the drawer and stick them back on the bed,
    that way you’ll not have to fold them at all, before you lay down your pretty heads.

LOL. I love how if you put your pictures side by side, you’d be looking at one another.
    The Majestic Powerful Index Fingers,
    the only ones I ever saw them ever work on is kids.

6. Amy
    March 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm (8 years ago)

I LOVE this! I can’t even watch Martha Stewart anymore because it makes me sweat a little bit.
    Always love to know of other REAL moms who do things the REAL way!!!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Cancer and God =-.

March 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm (8 years ago)

i knew we were kindred spirits

7. Raquel
    March 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm (8 years ago)

You need a tv show!

March 2, 2010 at 3:17 pm (8 years ago)

i could so do that!!

8. Janine (@twincident)
    March 2, 2010 at 12:21 pm (8 years ago)

Love it! Next time you are at my house I expect you to get the Twofer involved in an all-out puppet show with your holey socks :)

March 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm (8 years ago)

dude, your couch is HUGE

March 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm (8 years ago)

thanks!! miss you!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm (8 years ago)

{{double giggle}}

9. Chele
    March 2, 2010 at 9:07 am (8 years ago)

Oh my I absolutely love this!!!! Someone that thinks the way I do! I literally was laughing out loud, the hubby just looked at me like I was crazy!
    .-= Chele´s last blog ..GGM – Taking Baby Steps =-.

March 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm (8 years ago)

happy to make your day a little funnier