Do you love beautiful and trendy blog headers?  What’s your style?  Traditional, preppy, clean, ornate?

If you are a blogging beginner and don’t have a designed header yet, or want something quick until you save the money, here something you can do, free, and easy peasy.

First you need to decide the size.  Pixels are determined in your template, and you can usually find this in Blogger by placing the cursor on the outer background, right click, and view page source.  You will find your header wrapper size listed,  or if you already have a header and want to replace it, you can right click on the header, view properties, and you should see the pixel sizes.  OK, moving on…because that’s not mah thing…

We are going to start with a plain surface in Paint.net or Seashore if you have a mac.  Create an image in jpg or png that is the exact pixels you want to start out with.  You can make it any color…mine is white.  Save it as either a jpg or png.

Now we go to Picnik.com.  Open the file, and I’m going to start with a border.  I use the inner border, and adjust the color and size.  The outer border I take down to zero.

I want this to be a little fancy, a damask look, so I go to the Floralia section and overlap 3 images so it gives it a repeat pattern look.

The rectangle in the center is actually 2, white on top of green, and I was careful about the sizing.

Then I added the text inside the rectangle and “ta-da”, one pretty banner, from scratch in minutes.

If I want to get really fancy, I can adjust the fade on the green and white rectangles, and put little markers in the corners to decorate it.  Don’t over-do it.  Less is More most of the time.

Good luck!  Let me know if you make your own header.  I would love to see your creation!

14 Comments on Beautiful Blog Headers You Make Yourself

1. Lawrence Abiodun
    December 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm (7 years ago)

Lovely and useful tips, I would try to stick to your advice
    thanks

2. jessica
    August 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm (7 years ago)

Hey, I just found your site and LOVE this advice. I have been wanting to make a header and love the things picnik has to use. I made one I really like but do you know how to get it centered on my blog?
    Thanks!

3. julie
    September 27, 2009 at 4:13 pm (8 years ago)

I should have left my blog alone, I added a new template and lost all my widgets and now my header is tiny! I’ve been trying to fix it for 3 days! I don’t understand how to get a url without (photobucket) resizing it small. I tried to edit the pixels in the html too. Can you help? Thanks, Julie
    p.s. I love this comment box, I’d like one too!

4. LisaLisa
    July 7, 2009 at 8:09 pm (8 years ago)

Wow..this is so cool! Just what I need….thanks for sharing!!!!!! :) I’ll be back to show you what my header will look like!!!

5. Stefani
    July 7, 2009 at 8:02 pm (8 years ago)

I just made a new and simple header for one of my blogs today using the free Gimp graphics program.

6. Brandy
    July 7, 2009 at 3:28 pm (8 years ago)

SO true so true! I better get in their and practice!!! lol

7. Brandy
    July 7, 2009 at 3:10 pm (8 years ago)

Oh gosh girl! That is soooo beautiful! I am loving this picnic better get passed my fears of not being good at it and DIVE RIGHT IN! Love the creation!! Beautiful!

• Short Pump Preppy
      July 7, 2009 at 3:16 pm (8 years ago)

I think it’s the old saying “practice makes perfect” …it’s all trial and error!

8. Caroline
    July 7, 2009 at 6:44 am (8 years ago)

Awesome! It is so sweet of you to share your “secrets” with us ;) I hope to have smilinggreenmom up and running soon- I have been practicing some of your tips-thanks! Caroline

• Short Pump Preppy
      July 7, 2009 at 3:15 pm (8 years ago)

Great! I can’t wait to see….drop me an email when you get it up!

9. blueviolet
    July 6, 2009 at 10:05 am (8 years ago)

You have the best tips!

10. Annie
    July 6, 2009 at 9:27 am (8 years ago)

How cool! I’m afraid I would still stink!I bet I couldn’t get past the size!

• Short Pump Preppy
      July 7, 2009 at 3:14 pm (8 years ago)

If you have some questions, i can probably get you started with the size…let me know

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Beautiful Blog Headers You Make Yourself

1. […] you have something going for you that you don’t have IRL (in real life).  You can put up a super cute header and background and no one says your blog looks “like you’ve gained a few, cut out the […]